A PDF of the slideshow is available here.
This is an old outline, for reference only.
Before You Start
- Print and complete the Application Form (need link)
- Make some initial inquiries about a potential co-op employer
Introductions (day 1)
- Marking Overview
- Reminder: when you get your MarkBook reports, double-check that the total hours listed from each journal are properly recorded.
- Note: journals more than two weeks late will not be marked; only the hours will be recorded.
- Need 2 References (day 1)
Resume (day 1)
Build your resume at http://www.careercruising.com. Remember your username and password!
Central Placements discussion (day 2)
Update Training Agreement with proper related subject and mark (from transcript) (day 2)
- Not all related subjects may be listed in that page. See instructor for assistance.
Pre-course Questionnaire (need new link) (day 2)
Co-op Pre-course Survey (day 2)
- Young Workers Awareness Program — 7 Things You’d Better Know
Cover Letter (day 2)
Visit this website for excellent resources.
Co-op Education Student Handbook (need new link) (you will receive a hard copy of this) (day 3)
Safety (days 3-4)
Communication Video, w/ Communication assignment (need new link) (day 5)
Interview Questions (day 5)
Guest Speaker – Interview Techniques (day 7)
Training Agreement Responsibilities Assignment (day 7)
Confidentiality (handout (need new link) , case studies, contract)
Harassment (case studies) Eval’d (day 9)
Sexual harassment – guest speaker & quiz
Harassment – video and package
First Week at the Workplace (need new link)
In-school Session #1
More to add…
Employment Standards Act Worksheet(s)
(note to self: remove this list after ensuring everything is on the checklist. format like session #3)
Review of Weekly Journals
Add up total hours from weekly log sheets (on MarkBook printout) and record here. Should be ~110 hours for 2 credits or ~55 hours for 1 credit. Record on inside from cover of file (the journal dates are here).
Adjustment to Hours Forms
Pathways to Opportunity Supervisor Award
- Don’t make these spelling mistakes!
Student Handbook – In-school course expectations
Choose 5-6 specific expectations from your related course
Student Handbook – Placement Opportunities (p. 14)
Student Handbook – Employer Specific Expectations (p. 14)
Update Profile, including pictures
SHSM Students – need copies of Passport to Safety certificate, WHMIS certificate, and Ontario Skills Passport assignment
Overview of Final Presentation (get started early!)
Tip: create a GoogleDoc (or other easily-accessible document) and add comments to this weekly
Finish OSP Assignment
First Month at Placement
Employer Assessment I (see note)
- worth 16% of final mark
Essential Skills Eval’d
Rough Draft Work Experience
Thank You Letter
Ontario Skills Passport
In-school Session #3 (student checklist)
- Union Presentation & Assignment
- Portfolio overview
- Reflective Assignment overview
- In-school session #4 (teacher notes)
- Course Evaluation
- MarkBook updates
- Anything to hand in?
- Any mistakes? (highlight and return report to instructor)
- # of Hours (should be 195 to 200 hours)
- Reminder of Adjustment to Hours form
- Presentations during Exam period — January 25 (see Summative, below)
- Thank You letters (see exemplar)
- sample(s) available in O: drive
- print two — one for employer, one for instructor
- address the envelope
- Hand in portfolio
- Employer Assessment II (see note)
- worth 24% of final mark
- worth 24% of final mark
- Reflective Assignment Overview
- Display (used during presentation)
The employer evaluation forms can be found here.
This assignment builds on the Ontario Skills Passport Assignment you did in in-school session #2.
Select any three Essential Skills that you have acquired in your placement and give a 1-2 paragraph explanation (for each) of how these skills were developed. Be specific, detailed, and honest. (Please remember that spelling and grammar counts.)
To do this assignment, a Google Doc template has been created.
Note to BDSS students: use the document link in Google Classroom to create your document instead of the link above.
At a minimum, your ePortfolio title page must include:
- Your Name
- Job Title
- Name of placement
- Placement address, phone, website
- Company Logo or picture
- A picture of you at your placement
See here for an example title page.
- ePortfolio Title Page (on GC)
- Ontario Skills Passport Assignment (on GC)
- Updated Resume (on GC)
- Personal Placement Learning Plan
- Summative Journal (aka Short Answer Questions) (30 marks) (on GC)
Google Slideshow (40 marks)
- Presentation (20 marks) (rubric on GC)
- Exit Interview (20 marks)
A checklist is here to help you plan and track these activities.
- Be sure you belong to the class reminder service (see instructions in Google Classroom).
- Submit your hours to your employer weekly.
- Be sure to notify the school and your employer if you are absent.
- Check Google Classroom regularly for new assignments.
- Check your online marks regularly. Report any issues to your instructor.
This is a summary of our 3rd in-school co-op session. Note that the links here are for reference only and that all assignments must be opened in Google Classroom (GC).
*** IN PROGRESS ***
Note: “[on GC]” means it has been added the master Google Classroom class so it can be “reused” in the actual GC classes.
- Course Outline (PDF) [on GC] | “Big Picture” Outline [on GC]
- Co-op Calendar [on GC]
- Note the important dates in your own calendar.
- If you click the “+” on the bottom-right of the calendar you can add the Co-op calendar to your Google Calendar account.
- If there any missing dates, please report them to your instructor.
- What is Co-op? [on GC]
- About Me (blog post link) [on GC]
- Create a Google Folder called “Co-op” and save all your files in that folder. (It’s a good idea to do this. Trust me!) [on GC]
- Student Information Sheet (PDF) [on GC]
- Download, fill in, and submit
- Student Intention Sheet (PDF) [on GC]
- Download, fill in, and submit
- Hour Republic [on GC]
- Remind Notifications (2018-02 Link) [on GC]
- Co-op Student Handbook
- Research Your Co-op Placement (Google Doc) [on GC]
- Resume [on GC]
- Create (or update) and submit
- Can use Career Cruising
- Cover Letter [on GC]
- Overview of Final Presentation [on GC]
- Accident Reporting Process (PDF) [on GC]
- Safety Lessons and Tests
- WHMIS [on GC]
- Ministry of Labour: Prevention Starts Here [on GC]
- Violence and Harassment [on GC]
- Accessibility Standards – Customer Service [on GC]
- If Time Permits (In-school session #1 material):
- Ministry of Labour E-Test – Worker Health and Safety Awareness in 4 Steps (40 minutes required)
- Safe Ladder
- Germ Prevention
- Slip, Trips and Falls
Old Material (not being used)
Texthelp PDF Reader Extension Fix (video) (if you have problems opening and saving PDFs then watch this video)