From Mr Miller:
We will be creating a colour house system with our students this year. We will be dividing students into 16 colour-named groups (houses) with approximately 32 students, and 2-3 teachers, per group. The purpose of the groups is to grow our school spirit, and provide a means by which to facilitate intramurals, competitions, collaborative work and connections with students in an exciting and meaningful way. The system was suggested and designed based on feedback from students and staff on what could be done to make our school better.
To promote this system, and allow houses to have time together, we will be running an alternate schedule on the first day:
- Period one 9:15am – 10:00am
- Break 10:00am – 10:10am
- Period two 10:10am – 10:55am
- Break 10:55am – 11:05am
- Period three 11:05am- 11:50am
- Lunch 11:50am – 12:50pm
- Period four 12:50pm – 1:40pm
- Assembly and House time 1:40 – 3:25pm (with a break after the assembly, and before houses assemble)
I saw this tweet this morning from Peel School board with a “words of wisdom” video message from existing students for their incoming grade 9s. Every new grade 9 student should see this!
— Peel School Board (@PeelSchools) August 27, 2017
I love long distance motorcycling. It gives me a chance to unwind after the school year finishes and to explore new sights.
Fully loaded, my bike, a 2011 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, would often look like this: Continue reading “Third Wheel Trailers Motorcycle Trailer Review”
Students, the end of school is near! Before you leave, please do your best to fill in the course evaluation. I take your submissions very seriously, as your feedback gets used to make my courses better for future students.
As a convenience, I am also embedding the form here:
- Adapting Curriculum for Second Language Learners https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-adapting-curriculum-for-second-language-learners/
- Education Law https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-education-law/
- Environmental Education Part 1 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-environmental-education-part-1/
- French as a Second Language, Part 1 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-french-second-language-part-1/
- French as a Second Language, Part 2 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-french-second-language-part-2/
- French as a Second Language, Specialist https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-french-second-language-specialist/
- Geography, Grade 7 and 8 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-geography-grades-7-and-8/
- History, Grade 7 and 8 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-history-grade-7-and-8/
- Inclusive Classroom, Part 1 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-inclusive-classroom-part-1/
- Inclusive Classroom, Part 2 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-inclusive-classroom-part-2/
- Inclusive Classroom, Specialist https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-inclusive-classroom-specialist/
- Integrated Arts https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-integrated-arts/
- Integration of Information and Computer Technology in Instruction, Part 1 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-integration-of-ict-in-the-classroom-part-1/
- Integration of Information and Computer Technology in Instruction, Part 2 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-integration-of-ict-in-the-classroom-part-2/
- Integration of Information and Computer Technology in Instruction, Specialist https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-integration-of-ict-in-the-classroom-specialist/
- Kindergarten, Part 1 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-kindergarten-part-1-online/
- Kindergarten, Part 2 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-kindergarten-part-2-online/
- Kindergarten, Specialist https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-kindergarten-specialist-online/
- Language, Grades 7 and 8 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-language-grades-7-and-8/
- Mathematics, Grade 7 and 8 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-mathematics-grades-7-8/
- Mathematics, Primary and Junior, Part 1 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-mathematics-primary-junior-part-1/
- Mathematics, Primary and Junior, Part 2 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-mathematics-primary-junior-part-2/
- Mathematics, Primary and Junior, Specialist https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-mathematics-primary-junior-specialist/
- Media, Part 1 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-media-part-1/
- Media, Part 2 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-media-part-2/
- Media, Specialist https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-media-specialist/
- Music – Instrumental, Part 1 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-instrumental-music-part-1/
- Occasional Teaching https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-occasional-teacher/
- Primary Education, Part 1 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-primary-education-part-1/
- Primary Education, Part 2 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-primary-education-part-2/
- Primary Education, Specialist https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-primary-education-specialist/
- Reading, Part 1 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-reading-part-1/
- Reading, Part 2 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-reading-part-2/
- Reading, Specialist https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-reading-specialist/
- Science and Technology, Grade 7 and 8 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-science-and-technology-grades-7-and-8/
- Science and Technology, Primary and Junior, Part 1 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-science-and-technology-primary-and-junior-part-1/
- Science and Technology, Primary and Junior, Part 2 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-science-and-technology-primary-and-junior-part-2/
- Science and Technology, Primary and Junior, Specialist https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-science-and-technology-primary-and-junior-specialist/
- Special Education, Part 1 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-special-education-part-1/
- Special Education, Part 2 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-special-education-part-2/
- Special Education, Specialist https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-special-education-specialist/
- Student Assessment and Evaluation https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-student-assessment-evaluation/
- Teacher Librarian, Part 1 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-teacher-librarian-part-1/
- Teacher Librarian, Part 2 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-teacher-librarian-part-2/
- Teacher Librarian, Specialist https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-teacher-librarian-specialist/
- Teaching and Learning Through e-Learning https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-teaching-learning-e-learning/
- Teaching Combined Grades https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-teaching-combined-grades/
- Teaching English Language Learners Part 1 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-teaching-ell-part-1/
- Teaching English Language Learners Part 2 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-teaching-ell-part-2/
- Teaching English Language Learners Specialist https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-teaching-ell-specialist/
- Teaching First Nations, Metis, and Inuit Children https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-teaching-first-nation-metis-and-inuit-children/
- Teaching Students with Behavioural Needs https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-teaching-students-with-behavioural-needs/
- Teaching Students with Communication Needs (Autism Spectrum Disorder) https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-teaching-students-with-communication-needs-autism-spectrum-disorders/
- Teaching Students with Communication Needs (Learning Disability) https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-teaching-students-with-communication-needs-learning-disabilities/
- Use and Knowledge of Assistive Technology https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-use-knowledge-assistive-technology/
- Visual Arts, Part 1 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-visual-arts-part-1/
- Visual Arts, Part 2 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-visual-arts-part-2/
- Visual Arts, Specialist https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-visual-arts-specialist/
- Writing, Part 1 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-writing-part-1/
- Writing, Part 2 https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-writing-part-2/
- Writing, Specialist https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/pd-calendar/events/etfo-writing-specialist/
I recently had the pleasure of being in the audience for a presentation from Carol Arcus, Vice-President, The Association for Media Literacy (AML).
One of the highlights for me was their “EULA Project”, where they have taken many social media end-user licence agreements and converted them to plain English posters that can be displayed in your classroom for your students, all for free.
Here’s an example, posted in low-res only (see the link below for full-sized PDFs):
To see AML’s EULA Project in its entirety, visit http://www.aml.ca/i-agree/ where you can download PDF versions of each EULA poster.
(Also see http://www.aml.ca/agency-and-privacy/ for additional information about this project.)
Want to know what courses Brock is offering this summer for teachers? See the listing I’ve compiled here.
I recently had some discussions about updating a webpage to include popups for a number of organizations that were listed on a page. It got me thinking about how I could write a program that would efficiently generate the HTML instead of having to manually code it.
I’ve also been thinking lately about getting back into programming with Delphi, a language I used many years ago that is perfect for quickly creating little utilities.
Here’s the result:
It’s nothing fancy, but it will suit my needs should the task come up again.
If you’re interested in downloading the program for yourself, it can be downloaded from here. Because it’s written in Delphi, there’s no setup required and the program should run portably on most systems (Windows only). Just save it to the folder you’d like to run it from, like your desktop.
If you’re interested in the source code, shoot me an email and I’d be glad to share it.